a (usually primary) intimate partnership which allows for sexual connections with others either conditionally or as a general rule.
Common Practices & Experiences
Everyone is different! You'll see this repeated throughout our website and glossary. Common practices and experiences involving open relationships include, but certainly aren't limited to:
- Establishing expectations and boundaries at the beginning of any new relationship
- frequently communicating about whether the established expectations and boundaries are working well
- Re-evaluating specific boundaries as needed.
- Developing trust and understanding of one’s partner
- Working towards feeling secure in your relationship
- Doing research about different types of non-monogamy
- Self-assessment about what you do and do not want out of your relationship.